Leila KnollShe / Her / Hers
Maker / Sewist
I am a former mixed/shelter vet who just re-entered graduate school to study wildlife disease in hopes of working in ecosystem/free-ranging wildlife health (I would also love to quit any professional endeavors and just live off-grid somewhere green).
In my free time I’m either sewing, cooking, or climbing (boulders – indoors and outdoors).
I love to sew with natural fibers when I can – and while I need more “basics” in my wardrobe I keep leaning towards dresses for no apparent reason. I have found that being back in school allows me much more freedom in what I can wear (I no longer have to worry about being covered in cow poop or constantly washing my clothes to make sure I don’t spread diseases) so I’m very much so excited to keep exploring my new sense of style with my makes!
What influence does music have in your life as a creative?:
Music is a big part of my daily life whether that’s on my bike commute to school, between classes when I’m walking around campus, and when I get home to make dinner or have time to sew something.
I view music as a channel by which I define my personality – and I have always appreciated finding people who share similar tastes in music. And in some sort of way, I feel like I am able to connect with those people more closely. I must admit that several romantic partners of mine have commented that my music taste is “confusing” but I think it speaks volumes to the many stages of my life growing up and shaping who I am.
I also see music as a way to be introspective. Certain songs make you think hard on past relationships, feelings, even traumatic events. I don’t love reliving my past often, but I know it helps to focus on these areas from time to time to re-frame my current perspective on how to go about my daily life.
Tell us about your playlist:
my current go-to songs when going about my daily life 🙂
some remind me of certain people that used to be in my life or still are, others of past experiences, and some hold absolutely no meaning at all and are just fun to dance and zone out to.
- I Love Hot Nights – Jonathan Richman,The Modern Lovers
- All I Want Is U – Chase Ceglie
- 104 Degrees – Slaughter Beach, Dog
- Ode To Dance Floor – Niki & The Dove
- Meateater – ALASKALASKA
- July – Boyish
- Dark Days [Feat. Sylvan Esso] – Local Natives,Sylvan Esso
- Running Up That Hill – Car Seat Headrest
- Be Sweet – Japanese Breakfast
- Susie Save Your Love – Allie X,Mitski
- Witches – Alice Phoebe Lou
- Dandelions – Kurt Vile
- Lights Out – Deep Sea Diver
- Can She Dance – Dr. Dog
- One Trick Ponies – Kurt Vile
- Japanese Candy – Brutus VIII
- Harvest Moon – Widowspeak
- Don’t Know How To Keep Loving You – Julia Jacklin
- Fruity – Rubblebucket
- The Bug Collector – Haley Heynderickx
- The Winding Stair Mountain Blues – Turnpike Troubadours
- Hold Me Like Water – Empress Of
- LA NOCHE DE ANOCHE – Bad Bunny,ROSALÍA
- Mirror – Grace Ives
- Sleepwalkin’ – Daydreamin’ Version – Better Oblivion Community Center,Phoebe Bridgers,Conor Oberst
- Silk Chiffon – MUNA,Phoebe Bridgers
- New Song – Maggie Rogers,Del Water Gap
- Slide Tackle – Japanese Breakfast
- Jeannie Becomes A Mom – Caroline Rose
- Tibetan Pop Stars – Hop Along
- Bedroom – Litany
- So Hot You’re Hurting My Feelings – Caroline Polachek
- Emotion feat. Wild Nothing – Molly Burch,Wild Nothing