Writer / Sewist / Textile Artist
California based writer and maker slow-stitching garments with (mostly) salvaged materials. As a Chicana, I come from a long line of women who constructed their own wardrobes and identities under the pressure of an unwelcoming dominant culture and I strive to honor their work and wear my heart on my sleeve.
What influence does music have in your life as a creative?:
Coming from a family of musicians, I grew up attending dozens of live shows, concerts, and music festivals. Some of my first makes were hand-sewn band tees turned into fitted tanks and tote bags in high school and I went through a phase of knitting and weaving my favorite album covers in college.
As a student of traditional Mexican Danza Folklorico, I became fascinated with music, dance, costume, and set design as tools of storytelling and cultural preservation. I was also fortunate to be taught by a local activist who lectured her students about the wage exploitation and poor working conditions of LA garments workers during this time. Something about this dance teacher telling a class of middle school Chicanos to boycott the fast fashion industry in the mid-2000s was life changing for me, and it has everything to do with why I prefer to make my own clothing.
Tell us about your playlist:
I’m a pensive maker by nature and listening to music helps me get in the zone, while the hum of the machine allows me to sing along a little louder. Featuring some of my favorite songs from artists in constant rotation while I draft, trace, cut, and sew my projects – I’d like to dedicate this mix to my machine(s), my practice, and the things I’ve made in isolation.
Cover photo is a mixtape my dad made with my favorite R&B and Pop hits from the year 1999.
- Needles In The Camel’s Eye – 2004 Digital Remaster – Brian Eno
- D.J. – 2017 Remaster – David Bowie
- Lovergirl – Teena Marie
- Como Puedes Vivir Contigo Mismo – Alex Anwandter
- Sky Walker – Spanish Version – Miguel
- Hit Different – SZA, The Neptunes, Pharrell Williams, Ty Dolla $ign
- Run To The Sun – N.E.R.D
- 911 / Mr. Lonely (feat. Frank Ocean & Steve Lacy) – Tyler, The Creator, Frank Ocean, Steve Lacy
- The World Is Yours – Nas
- Ricky’s Theme – Remastered 2009 – Beastie Boys
- Betray My Heart – D’Angelo
- Mi Querido Amor (My Cherie Amour) – Spanish Version – Stevie Wonder
- How Come You Don’t Call Me – Alicia Keys
- Some Things Never Seem To Fucking Work – Solange
- Eres para Mí (with Anita Tijoux) – Julieta Venegas, Ana Tijoux
- Yo x Ti, Tu x Mi – ROSALÍA, Ozuna
- Prototype – Outkast
- CMYK – James Blake
- Flim – Aphex Twin
- Beyond Love – Beach House
- All Tomorrow’s Parties – The Velvet Underground, Nico
- Pin – Yeah Yeah Yeahs
- Tren Al Sur – Los Prisioneros
- Birthday – The Sugarcubes
- Sugar Water – Cibo Matto
- Catch Yourself Falling – Nicolas Godin, Alexis Taylor
- Doin’ it Right (feat. Panda Bear) – Daft Punk, Panda Bear
- The Rip – Portishead
- The Hem – Jonny Greenwood