Maker, Sewist, Pattern Designer
I’m a California girl who moved to Germany at 18 to study a very mysterious movement art called Eurythmy.
10 years later I’m still in Germany working as a performing artist with a small ensemble.
I learned to sew at a very young age. My mother is a textile artist, so my love for fabrics and fibers was always very nurtured. We were always creating together.
I didn’t start sewing seriously, however, until I left home. It was a way for me to feel at home in such a foreign place.
I love to sew all things! At the moment, I’m really enjoying the challenge of working materials I’ve never worked with before. One of my lastest makes was a leather dress.
What influence does music have in your life as a creative?:
I grew up in a sound cloud. My father was a musician along with half of my family. Music has always been a big part of my life. For me, making and music go hand in hand. Dad would always be practicing his guitar whilst Mom and I sewed. He’d always ask us to make him a shirt out of the fabrics we were using. “That fabric would look great with my new guitar!” he’d say.
I listen to all kinds music. Different projects will also inspire what I’m listening to. As my dad would say: “There’s a song for everything.” and it’s so true!
Tell us about your playlist:
This playlist is a schmorgasbord of genres. I’ve got some old faithfuls in there, songs from my childhood and my latest jams.
- Queen Bee – Taj Mahal
- Nont For Sale – Sudan Archives
- Stay Flo – Solange
- Gaspar Yanga – D Smoke, Snoop Dogg
- Circles – Mac Miller
- Cantaloop (Flip Fantasia) – Us3, Rahsaan, Gerard Presencer
- The Heroic Weather-Conditions of the Universe, Part 7: After The Storm – Alexandre Desplat
- California – Joni Mitchell
- Tickle Me Pink – Johnny Flynn
- Sally – Johnny Flynn
- Pink Moon – Nick Drake
- Yegelle Tezeta – Mulatu Astatke
- Self Care – Mac Miller
- Blue World – Mac Miller
- Dang! (feat. Anderson .Paak) – Mac Miller, Anderson .Paak
- Bloody Waters (with Anderson .Paak & James Blake) – Ab-Soul, Anderson .Paak, James Blake
- Frontline – Kelela
- Kick, Push – Lupe Fiasco
- 5 Years Time – Noah And The Whale
- High By The Beach – Lana Del Rey
- Bonita Applebum – A Tribe Called Quest
- Yet Again – Grizzly Bear
- Nterini – A COLORS SHOW – Fatoumata Diawara
- Ready or Not – Fugees
- Sirata – Habib Koité
- Disparate Youth – Santigold
- Le Temps de L’amour – Françoise Hardy
- Concerto Grosso in A Minor, Op.3, No.8, RV 522: III. Allegro – Antonio Vivaldi, The Cavendish Orchestra, Terry Cavendish
- Breezeblocks – alt-J
- Bitch, Don’t Kill My Vibe – Kendrick Lamar
- Ramblin’ Man – Hank Williams
- Little Boxes – Malvina Reynolds